Excellence and Tradition Since 1913
|The beginning of
February 1913 saw a great new activity in the life of St.
Barnabas Parish. Sister Mary Bertille Garrity, Sister
Gertrude Marie Callahan and Sister Agnes Marion Cummings had
arrived to undertake the establishment of a school and began
registering students on the Feast of the Epiphany.
In total, 76 children were registered on the opening day.
They were divided into three grades and classes began in the
basement of the Church. Their classrooms were meager, with
walls painted black to be used as blackboards.
However, with registration growing, the Church basement
quickly became inadequate and so a frame school building of
two classrooms was constructed and made ready for the
September 1913 term. Sister Bertille had grander plans and
would brook no limitations. She proposed a permanent school
War rumblings in Europe, and conservative growth in the
area, curbed her aspirations and a single hall with six
classrooms and a principal’s office was approved.
On May 16, 1915 the cornerstone was laid and on April 13,
1916 John Cardinal Farley dedicated the new building.
Another milestone occurred in 1916 as our parish celebrated
its fifth anniversary. We could now boast of a fully graded
school ready to graduate a first class of 30 boys and girls
in June. Some names from that graduating class are: Mary
Barrett, Gertrude Brennan, Frances Cotter, Helen Spiehler,
Edna Klein, Josephine Mullen, Rosalie Lynch, William
Kavanaugh and Walter Lundrigan. Edna Klein and Rosalie Lynch
both became Sisters of Charity.
Barry, Pastor of St. Barnabas Parish, started the
celebration off on February 25th by providing cake to all of
our students. Needless to say, every child left the
cafeteria with a big smile on their face!
celebration will continue all through the year:
Look out for a Spring
Open House – an opportunity for anyone from the Parish to
walk through the halls of our great school and revel in the
history of the great St. Barnabas.
Moving forward to the Fall, we are looking forward to a big
Dinner-Dance celebration of St. Barnabas Elementary School!